We are holding onto summer as tightly as we can, just because time keeps flying, although Fall is simply beautiful here in New England. I try and get to the farmers market often and there has been lots and lots of summer squash at the market lately. We have zoodles and grilled squash here and there, but when I got squash in our farm share this week, something was telling me to throw it in my morning smoothie. I did just that and it was SO good that I had to share it with you all!
Here’s what I did, it makes two tumblers full, you may want to make half of what I'm jotting down here, I always make enough for both my husband and I as breakfast smoothies during the week.
Put all of these ingredients into a high speed blender,
- 2 oz plant milk (I used ripple's pea milk, but you can use almond or anything you like)
- half of a medium sized summer squash - skin peeled, about 6 oz (I used the light green one)
- handful of frozen blueberries
- 1 banana
- dash of cinnamon
- small piece of fresh ginger (I used a baby ginger)
- 1 tsp lion’s mane mushroom powder (optional)
- 2 coconut water ice cubes (optional, if you like your smoothies colder)
Blend everything together, pour and serve.
You can't even tell that there's squash in it, its so light and smooth, mild in flavor and just delicious! Such a nutrient rich drink and great way to start your morning. Summer squash doesn't only taste good but also has incredible nutrients, it is a great source of copper and manganese. Also, contains a good source of Vitamin C, magnesium, potassium, folate, vitamin B6 and vitamin K amongst others. Awesome vegetable, you get it!
So good! Let me know if you make it!
In great health & love,